It's that time of the year again. The British 'summer', chilly, windy, often rainy weather gets me in the autumn mood. I love summer, I truly do, but it never feels warm enough to celebrate in London. So here I go. My favourite season fashion-wise is definitely autumn/winter, my go-to colours are strictly black, white, grey and navy. Every once in a while I branch out to the rebellion of khaki or a berry purple. There's just something I adore about style in the cooler months. Layering jumpers and coats over skinny jeans is my cup of tea, and nothing fills me with more excitement than playing with textures, zips and studs. So far of the autum previews I've seen there's been lots of focus on the khaki and berry tones, especially in shops such as New Look. Today I've looked at River Island for some inspiration.
1) black high shine tube pants An obvious choice. I've been looking for a good dupe for the disco pants for ages, and these seem pretty good. Even llymlrs recommended them. That's secured my 'seal of approval'. They also come in many sizes, even a short size six (rarity and absolute joy for a petite shortie like myself). High waisted and thinning, they'll look great layered, with long chunky knits on top, and tucked into a pair of ankle chelsea boots.
2) black print intarsia cropped jumper Isn't this gorgeous?! It offers a range of patterns, all wearable yet still encorporating the pattern-clash trend. It's in a practical monotone colour scheme, suiting the colour-shy like myself. It looks comfy and christmassy without being reindeers-and-sleighs-on-a-jumper.
3) khaki pu sleeve army jacket Inspired by a release from Zara last year, every store has attempted to release a similar version, as everyone is hoping to get their mitts on one! I've looked at army jackets for a while, and they're all so expensive! I tried on a camouflage jacket from New Look teens and found it was so unshapely that I wouldn't be able to pull it off. However, with this having the pu sleeves, it stays classy yet very edgy. Shame about the price though, this will be a definite girl-can-dream item.
4) purple faux fur collar jacket Essentially, living in England in the austum/winter months requires a good quality coat. One that's warm, layerable and preferably stylish. This ticks all the boxes, and still happens to be in my favourite colour! The zipped pockets mean you can carry your phone and keys without a bag, say if you were to briefly 'pop around' to the corner or whatnot. I sadly have the misfortune of having a burgundy blazer as part of my school uniform, so the two colours would clash. And, being a student without a job I dont have the odd £50 lying around for a coat, as much as I can wish.
5) light purple shirt I adore the colour of this! I know it's more of a summery colour, but lilac in a way is versatile enough to wear layered with other things to suit the colder months. It's been tailored in a nice way, with the centre concealing the buttons, leaving a cleaner and sharper edge. The collar is also sharp and would definitely suit a highly-coveted sweater and collar combination.
6) red tartan check zip messenger bag I've not always been keen on the colour red, I felt it didn't suit my strange complexion and just wasn't my personal preference. When I was younger I read a style book telling me to edge towards cool colours, so blue, navy and purple then on were on my agenda. Saying this, I find the tartan print to be so cute! It's so classic and wintery, and reminds me of Scotland.
What are your autumn picks? Would you like to see similar posts for other high street stores?